Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My New Pet Policy


My good friend just got a brand new puppy
And the rest of us sarcastically call him lucky.
I was happy but his happy seemed to be more
Because every day she met him at the door
And from the way her tail just kept waggin’
You’d think she knew he had been braggin’

One day he finally asked me about pets
“Not me. Never. I’ll skip on the trips to vets.
Whether you get a thorough breed or a mutt
They all track in shit that you have to clean up.
She's cute now but they're all like that as first
But you’ll see – post pups it’ll just get worse”

A year later his happy still stayed more
So I betrayed what I knew to be true before
Saved up for weeks and then hit the pet store
To get a friend that’d meet me at the door

Whenever I wanted to see her she was there
And even when I didn't... she was still there.  
I got used to her and went back to work
Though working late now made me a jerk
Even though I logged the extra hours for her
Should've gotten a cat. They know how to purr.

Before my briefcase can even hit the floor
She's always there to walk me from the door
Barking her doubts/thoughts about my day
So we'd fight, I'd get mad and call her a stray.
She says she remembers fetching toy sticks
And I say I remember licks, silence and tricks.
I said at times I just wanted to be left alone. 
So she did just that. She left me alone.

Now I’m out hanging up signs on light poles
Telling all my friends that she went psycho
Talking to the neighbors in between shouts
Saying “I don’t know how or why she got out”
But they know just like I know that I’m lying.
If I admit it now does that not count as trying?
My throat's knotted and I just want to clear it
Left to say sorry when she’s not here to hear it

Now I sit and growl stead of prowl like i deserved it
Why don't I get another dog? Because I’m allergic.

No comments:

Post a Comment